You come home from a visit to your doctor with the news that you have yeast infection. First of all there is no need to panic because this is one of the most common ailments affecting women. In fact, close to 75% would have experienced vaginal yeast infection some time or the other in their lives. Caused by a type of fungus called Candida albicans, the ailment is colloquially called Candida infection.
While this type of infection may last only for a couple days where the woman may get cured with the help of simple and quick remedies, for some women the problem can be long term, lasting for several years. Some of the common symptoms of yeast infection as experienced in women include:
· Frequent vaginal discharge that is colorless and odorless
· Painful intercourse
· Irresistible itchiness in the vaginal area
· Sensation of burning in the vaginal area and painful or burning sensation during urination.
Candida yeasts, which are organisms responsible for causing this kind of infection are present in every healthy human being; but what matters is whether there is any unhealthy increase of such organisms. There are certain triggers which can result in an increase of such fungal infection. In fact the reason why men too can get infected with this infection is when they have intercourse with an affected woman.
What causes this fungus to grow?
There are several causes why men and women develop yeast infection. Since this type of fungus is normally present in the vaginal area of a woman, the increase is caused due to dropping in the optimal acidic balance of the vagina, which results in a surge in fungal growth. Acidic levels can drop because of diabetes, consumption of steroids, use of certain types of antibiotics as well as menstruation. Poor hygiene is also anther common cause for the development of this type of infection.
How can this type of infection be treated?
There are various kinds of drugs and medications used for yeast infection treatment which provide mixed results. However, many doctors and medical experts are of the opinion that this infection is best treated with the help of natural remedies. The efficacy of natural remedies is more reliable as yeast infection treatment done with the help of over-the-counter drugs can have long term side effects.
Some of the natural yeast infection treatment options that can benefit women include:
- Oil of tea tree: This is beneficial because of its pronounced anti-fungal properties. The best method of use is to spray some undiluted oil in a tampon before inserting into the vagina. Allow the tampon to remain inside for about 30 minutes. This routine can be followed twice a day for several weeks for the infection to be completely cured.
- Another effective yeast infection treatment is to try a topical application with apple cider vinegar. All you need to do is to mix about a cup of this vinegar in your bathtub which contains warm water. Then soak yourself in the tub for about half an hour. Doing this routinely for 5 days a week can have beneficial effects since vinegar is known to be rich in antifungal and antibacterial properties.