Sunday, November 10, 2013

With A Song In My Heart

For as long as I can remember, I have always loved to sing. On very special occasions like my birthday or Christmas, I would sometimes receive a coveted 45 RMP record set containing songs from one of my favorite stories. When I received Cinderella, I was beyond ecstatic. I played those two yellow records over and over until I had memorized every single word of each song. At one point, my mother begged me to go out and play. The records would be there upon my return. They were, and I continued to sing my little heart out.

During high school, Mom once commented that, if I could learn my lessons as well as I could memorize songs, I would be at the top of my class. There has always been something about singing that has brought me joy and soothed my soul. Sometimes, though, I forget that!

Over the holidays, my beautiful friend Melina handed me a book that she wanted me to read so that we could discuss it together. The Four Fold Way by Angeles Arrien is an incredible read that poses many thought-provoking ideas. It discusses the indigenous people and their innate commitment to walking the paths of the warrior, teacher, healer, and visionary. "Among indigenous cultures, there is a belief that our favorite songs are our power songs," the book tells us. This caused me to consider the songs that resonate so deeply for me and what is behind this. "Let There Be Peace on Earth," "Imagine," "Somewhere Over the Rainbow,"... the list goes on. All these depict my deep love of others and my lifelong desire to be a source of peace to all that I meet. Each hearing stirs my spirit and connects me to those that travel this path with me.

My beautiful granddaughter Anna brings out my deepest sense of love and appreciation and I find that we often break out in song when we are together. She reminds me that raising my voice and belting out a tune can lift the spirits and make the heart soar. I need to remember that when life seems stressful and solutions aren't easily found.

William James said, "I don't sing because I am happy, I am happy because I sing." Why not spend some time reflecting on the songs that touch your heart and re-ignite your power? Then join me around the campfire in spirit, and we will all raise ourselves up from worry and stress to a place of joy and wonder.

Let the music begin!

No comments:

Post a Comment